Sunday, January 31, 2010

Going Organic

I said earlier that I intend to plant some fruits and vegetables around the house. Well this is an update of the effort. Before I show you the photos, I must admit I have been slacking.

A Date Plam Tree From Dammam, Saudi Arabia


This is the date palm tree (about 4 feet tall) that I brought back from Dammam, Saudi Arabia. The date palm tree is now about 3.5 years old. I am not sure if it is a male or female tree and will have to wait till it is between 6 and 8 years when it starts to bear fruits. I also do not know what variety it is because I found the seedling in one of my morning jog around Al-Mujan Island. Date plam tree can be grown from seeds or from the suckers which are found at the base of the plam tree.


Even if the palm tree is from the common variety, fresh dates sells for RM20 per kilo.

Papaya Tree

This is my only success to date. At least the papaya is fruiting. I was about to give up because it took too long to grow.

Plot of Land For Planting Organic Vegetables

Yes, I know, lalangs all over. Earlier it was definitely clear. I planted tomatos and also potatoes. Those little squirrels dug up the potatoes and stole it. People say tomatoes are difficult to grow but I will not give up.

I will work on the land again for the next few days and ready to transplant the potatoes. Hopefully, I can show better results the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment