Saturday, March 24, 2012

It's a Drug's Life

A new day and I am starting to introduce a new drug into my therapy. The over the counter drug I am going to take is called cimetidine and you can read more here. The dosage is one tablet of 400mg, twice a day. For me, the purpose is mainly to prevent further cancer spread. Studies showed that cimetidine functions via several different pathways to inhibit tumor cell proliferation and metastasis.

Since cimetidine’s anti-cancer effects were first reported, scientists have proposed several hypotheses to explain how the drug works. Cimetidine’s potential mechanisms of action include:
  • modulating the body’s immune response (immunomodulation)
  • interfering with tumor growth
  • inhibiting tumor cell migration and metastasis.
Anyway, I will be trying this drug for three months and monitor for any side effects. There should not be any major side effects. 

At the same time, I am also taking Melatonin supplement. I just got my supply from Walmart, USA. I will write about Melatonin cancer treatment in a subsequent post. Most people are likely to associate melatonin with a hormone that helps people sleep better or prevents jet lag.  Few people realize that melatonin is a cancer-killing hormone that can enhance the human immune system, protect against the toxic side effects of chemotherapy and radiation therapy, and improve wound healing after cancer surgery. Even fewer are aware of ongoing clinical trials in which melatonin is being used to help cancer patients better manage their disease symptoms, improve their quality of life, and even increase their survival rates. 

I have also ordered another drug, ibandronate from my pharmacy. Oral ibandronate for the treatment of metastatic bone disease, in my case spread to my left knee joint. I have also asked the pharmacist to see if they can supply IL-2 (interleukin-2) as well, failing which I may have to get the supply from Taiwan.

More and more drugs are coming into my life. Conventional off label drugs but they don't come under mainstream conventional cancer therapy. Usually, they have very little or no side effects. They are also not expensive (except for IL-2 reported to cost US$500 per dose).

3 comments:

  1. Hi

    Catching up on your past few posts. I can see that you are getting a handle on your therapy. Excellent! Would love to see you write about something you feel good and happy about too besides your dis-ease/therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear CT Chang. I have been following your post deligently. I wish you good luck.

    Have you try vitamin C? There is a about vitamin C and it said study shows that vitamin C can retard cancer growth. My doctor has started prescribing 500mg of vit C daily for me.

    It is also said that aspirin can also help in cancer therapy. I haven't chk it out yet.
    Do check it out.

    Unfortunately I forgot the name of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to take cimetidine, but it was for gastritis. I never know it can cure cancer.

    ReplyDelete