Friday, November 12, 2010

Seeking Contentment

True contentment depends not upon what we have; a tub was large enough for Diogenes, but a world was too little for Alexander.
Charles Caleb Colton

I have named my blog Upekha, in Pali (the language that was spoken during Buddha's time) to mean equanimity (even tempered, undisturbed, no preferences). I would like to quote a passage by the 5th Century monk, Visuddhimagga: Upekha is characterized as promoting equipoise towards beings. Its function is to see the equality in beings. It is manifested as quieting like and dislike. Its proximate cause is seeing the ownership of deeds thus: "Beings are heirs to their deeds. Whose, if not theirs, is the choice by which they will become happy, or will be free from suffering, or will not fall away from the success they have reached?" It succeeds when it makes like and dislike subside, and it fails when it gives rise to the indifference of ignorance based on the household life.

It is a state of mind that I hope to achieve, I will be at peace with myself and with others. There will be no more cravings, only contentment.

Well it's time for me to visit Singapore again to see my homeopathy doctor. I will be away this weekend and will also be buying my Gerson supplements at Nature's Glory in Tiong Baru, Singapore.

Update On Trip To Mexico
I am now waiting to attend the interview at the US Embassy to see if they will grant me my visa. While it is possible to fly directly to Mexico City, there are however no connecting flights from Mexico City to Tijuana (2,300km away). The fastest way to reach the Gerson Clinic in Tijuana is still via San Diego, California. It's only 45 minutes drive away.

If everything goes smoothly, I will be leaving on 3 December and will be back on 22 December, just in time for the Christmas celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment