He checked into UH on Wednesday, 25 August to get an abdominal tap done.
What is an abdominal tap?
• If cancer cells have spread to the lining of the abdomen they can cause irritation, leading to the build up of fluid.
• If the liver is affected by cancer it can cause a blockage in the blood circulating through it, leading to a build up of fluid in the abdomen. Alternatively liver damage can change the body’s fluid balance, causing fluids to build up in the body’s tissues, including the abdomen.
• Cancer can also affect the lymphatic system. This is made up of the tissues and organs that produce and store lymph, as well as the network of vessels carrying lymph fluid throughout the body.
The symptoms of this build up of fluid include:
• Swelling of the abdomen, with associated pain or discomfort.
• Difficulty in moving or sitting comfortably.
• Nausea and vomiting.
• Reduced appetite.
• Altered bowel habit
He spends most of his time resting in bed. He is weak and has lost quite alot of weight. However, he has an army of well wishers and commented that he received more visitors during the recent Hari Raya than the Chinese New Year.
(Updated by Chang's friend)